Last updated September 21, 2003
- What are the Spooky Awards?
- Is My Story Eligible?
- Am I Eligible as an Author?
- Can I Submit My Story?
- How Do I Submit My Story?
- What About My Work In Progress (WIP)?
- What if I want to revise my story?
- How many awards are there? What are the categories?
- What are sponsored awards? Can I sponsor an award?
- Can I vote?
- My stories are listed as "pending" ... what does that mean?
- Why is my story is listed as "ineligible"?
- Help! I have no idea how to get my stories to ATXC!
- What if my question isn't answered here?
What are the Spooky Awards?
The Spookys are the fanfic awards for the Usenet newsgroup alt.tv.x-files.creative (ATXC). They are awarded annually to stories that are considered the most outstanding in their categories. The stories are nominated and voted on by the readers of ATXC, and the winners are posted to the newsgroup and at Mark of X-Cellence.
The awards were started in 1995 and continued in 1996. They took a break in 1997. RedThunder resumed the awards in 1998 and 1999. In 2000, TexxasRose took over and Lauryn bravely stepped in for 2001. In 2002, Diandra and Mrs. Fish handled the awards and now me, I'm alice ttlg and will be in charge of the awards for 2003.
But I'm no fool, I'm not doing this alone! *grin* I have a bunch of great people who are helping me out with making decisions and overseeing the voting process. We are the Spookys Advisory Committee and the members are (in no particular order): Deslea R. Judd, Kristen K2, Lara Means, Tamra, Foxsong, Ursula and me, alice ttlg. If you have any questions for us, we can be reached thru the Contact page.
Is My Story Eligible?
Before submitting your story, please ask yourself the following questions:
- Was my story (or a direct link to my story) posted to the Usenet newsgroup alt.tv.x-files.creative, either directly or through a mailing list?
- Was my story posted to ATXC for the first time between October 2, 2002 and October 1, 2003?
If the answer to both of these questions is YES, then please submit your work to us by following the instructions under "How Do I Submit My Story?" below. If you are unsure of whether your story has reached ATXC between October 2, 2002 and October 1, 2003, you can check with the ATXC auto-archive, Ephemeral and at Google Groups.
If you are still unsure, go ahead and send us your story, and we can check for you.
If you submitted your story directly to Ephemeral and not ATXC, then your story IS NOT ELIGIBLE. If you submitted your story directly to Gossamer and not ATXC, your story IS NOT ELIGIBLE. To be eligible, your story must have been posted on ATXC.
The official rules are as follows:
- Every story posted to alt.tv.x-files.creative for the FIRST time between Oct 2, 2002 and Oct 1, 2003 is eligible. Stories forwarded from mailing lists that automatically post to ATXC (XFF, XFC) are also eligible. If your story is on your website, and you post a link directly to the story (not to your main page) instead of posting the story itself, that story is eligible as long as the FIRST posting of the link falls within the eligibility time frame.
- Revisions or reposts of stories originally posted before Oct 2, 2002 are not eligible.
- No story that has previously won a Spooky award is eligible. This means first, second OR third place. Really. We really mean this one, folks. Even if you've posted new installments of an older series, if the series has already won FIRST, SECOND *OR* THIRD PLACE, it's not eligible. If you want to submit new installments of an older story, make a new series and call it something else. Really. We really mean this one, folks, no exceptions.
- Once you are sure your story has met the above requirements, you must submit your story to us to get it archived/linked on this site and make it eligible for the awards.
Am I Eligible as an Author?
There are three awards specifically for authors, and any writer who posts stories to alt.tv.x-files.creative can be eligible for these awards. So if you are an author with your own website, please send your name and URL to email@example.com - even if you have yet to post a story during this eligibility period.
NOTE: All authors are welcome to make themselves eligible at any time. However, if we get to October 1, 2003 and you do not have any stories in the awards, your name will be removed from the eligibility list. In other words, if you don't have a story here to prove that you are an author, you can't win the author awards.
Can I Submit My Story?
Yes! In fact, you MUST submit your story to the Spooky Awards in order for it to be eligible for the awards. In past years, volunteers have spent hours searching for long-lost stories whose authors neither knew nor cared about the awards. This year, as in 2001 and 2002, you must submit your name and your story's title to be eligible for an award. That way, we can focus more attention on the authors who wish to participate.
How Do I Submit My Story?
There are two ways to submit your story:
To ARCHIVE your story here:
- It must meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.
- It must be in plain text (.txt) format.
- Submit it thru the Submission form here at the awards archive; OR
- Email it in the body of a plain text email, as a .txt file attachment, or as a zipped .txt file attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your story is longer than 200k, please break it up into two or more parts and submit each part separately thru the Submission form or email.
- HTML, .doc, .wps or any other type of submission will NOT be accepted and will be discarded without notice to the author.
- Please realize that if you send your story to us, you are giving us permission to archive it on the 2003 Spooky Awards website.
To LINK your story here:
- It must meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.
- You must have your own website, run by yourself or an archivist, where your stories are posted. We cannot link to stories at Gossamer or Ephemeral. Links to stories at Red and the Black (RatB), the Basement, ScullySlash, All Things Rat and the Slipper Archive will be accepted. If your stories are archived at a specialty or other archive and you want to submit a link, please check with the archivist for permission first (we don't want to overwhelm their bandwidth limits, that can make it impossible for people to read your stories or anyone else's).
- If your website moves or the URL of your story changes at any point, it is your responsibility to notify us.
- Submit your link thru the Submission form here at the awards archive; OR
- Email it in the body of a plain text email with the title, author name, rating and the direct url to the story itself, not the main page of your site, to email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: If you submit your story thru the Submission form here at the Awards website, it will not appear immediately on the site. The Spookys team will check its eligibility first and then add it to the archive so please be patient, updates to the site are done as quickly as possible.
What about my Work In Progress (WIP) story?
- It must meet the eligibility requirements outlined above.
- You can wait until your Work In Progress is finished and completely posted, then send it to us as a completed story.
- If you have your own website that contains the WIP, you can send us a link to the main WIP page.
- If you would like us to archive your WIP as it is being posted, you must submit each new part to us as you post it to ATXC.
What if I want to revise my story?
If we are archiving your story and you would like to make revisions to it, please feel free to send us a revised copy (as a .txt file, in the body of an email or as a zip file). We will be happy to replace the old copy with the new version.
How many awards are there? What are the categories?
There are 66 official categories in the Spooky Awards: eight length categories, four ratings categories, thirteen genre categories, ten characterization categories, twenty-eight romance categories, and three author categories. In addition, there will be several sponsored categories which will be added as sponsors volunteer. A complete list can be found on the Categories page.
What are sponsored awards? Can I sponsor an award?
Sponsored awards are additional special categories that are sponsored by an archive, they vary from year to year, depending on what archives volunteer to sponsor which categories. Usually the sponsored award relates to the archive, like an archive for Doggett fic might sponsor a Doggett specific award.
Please note: The standard award categories canNOT be sponsored.
Any archive can sponsor an award, subject to approval by the Spooky admin committee. Sponsoring an award also means you'll volunteer to help with the voting process for three one-week periods during October to December 2003. It's not a huge amount of work but we need all the help we can get so in return for getting listed as an award sponsor and having a link to your archive on the Categories page, you help us out. If you're interested, contact us to let us know what award you'd like to sponsor.
You're also welcome to give a prize, something as simple as a "winner" graphic or something of more value, like XF dvds, but it is not a requirement, you don't have to give any kind of prize at all.
Requests to sponsor awards may be submitted thru October 1st, 2003.
Can I vote?
Of course - voting is open to everyone. Voting for the Spooky Awards takes place in three phases:
- Open Nominations: Begin on October 24, 2003 at 12:01am. (PST). In this phase, you may send in nominations for any stories on the eligibility list, including your own. You may nominate multiple stories. This process will lower the volume of stories to simplify voting in the second phase. Open nominations end on October 31, 2003 at 11:59pm (PST) and results will be posted to the website and to ATXC shortly thereafter. Stories not nominated during open nominations will not be eligible for the next phase of voting.
- Selective Nominations: Begin on November 14, 2003 at 12:01am (PST). In this phase, you may send in nominations for any story listed on the Open Nominations list. ONLY stories on the Open Nominations list may be voted on. You may vote for up to five stories per category. Selective nominations end on November 21, 2003 at 11:59pm (PST) and results will be posted to the website and to ATXC shortly thereafter. Stories not nominated during this phase will not be eligible for the final phase of voting.
- Final Voting: Begins on December 5, 2003 at 12:01pm (PST). In this phase, you may vote for up to three stories per category. You do not have to vote in all the categories. Final voting ends on December 12, 2003 at 11:59pm (PST) and results will be posted to the website and to ATXC shortly thereafter.
- Can I Vote Under More Than One Name?: No. Please don't send us multiple votes under different email addresses. This is considered cheating. Every year, people try it, and every year, it just makes more work for the volunteers when we have to weed out the potential cheaters. If it is obvious to us that someone has cheated, we will discard those votes, and that person will NOT be notified. ONE vote per person, please.
Instructions on where and how to vote will be posted on this website and on ATXC after October 1, 2003.
My stories are listed as "pending", what does that mean?
The Spookys archiving team checks the eligibility of the stories listed by verifying posting to ATXC thru Google Groups and thru AOL newsgroup access. All stories are listed as Pending until the volunteer team checks to see if it's been posted at ATXC. We usually update the status of pending stories about once a week. Once the archiving team finds your story posted at ATXC, it will be marked as eligible with a beside it. Please give us at least two weeks before contacting us about the pending status of your story.
If, after a month, it hasn't been found on ATXC at that point, we will attempt to contact you to remind you to post it to ATXC, however, it is ultimately your responsibility to post your story to ATXC. You can contact us about your story's ineligibility at any time and we'll be happy to correct any mistakes. Stories marked as ineligible will be left in the archive until after October 1, 2003 and will then be removed before voting begins.
Why is my story is listed as "ineligible"?
Stories marked as "ineligible" (with a ) were not found on ATXC thru Google Groups, or were posted to ATXC before October 2, 2002 or after October 1, 2003 or had placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd in a prior year's awards. If this is the case for one of your stories, and you are sure that you posted it to ATXC after October 1, 2002, please contact the archiving team so we can figure out why your story is marked ineligible and correct any mistakes.
Help! I have no idea how to get my stories to ATXC!
First, you must realise that alt.tv.x-files.creative is a NEWSGROUP. It is not a mailing list, it is not a website, and it is not a bulletin board.
If you have no idea what a newsgroup is, you should check out the "official" Usenet FAQ and/or the Basics of Usenet. Please don't email me with questions about Usenet - I honestly don't know that much and these guides should be able to tell you quite a bit more than I ever could.
Now that you know what ATXC is, you need to find a way to get to it.
- You can post it directly to the newsgroup thru a newsreader program on your computer. Many ISPs (Internet Service Providers) offer a newsreader, which allows their customers to read and post to Usenet newsgroups. If you are unsure if you have a newsreader, you should e-mail support at your ISP and ask them directly. I cannot help you set up your newsreader as every ISP is different. If you know that your ISP offers a newsreader but you have no idea how to locate it or make it work, you should e-mail support at your ISP.
- The ATXC/Spookys Posting Interface is open to all X-Files authors to post their stories to the ATXC newsgroup and/or submit it to the Spookys.
- There are two mailing lists that forward stories to ATXC: X-Files Fanfic (XFF) and All-XF. If you can't get through to ATXC using any other method, these mailing lists are guaranteed to work. If you join XFF, be sure to take note of the special email address for posting stories to the list AND to ATXC (it's in their posting guidelines towards the bottom).
- The Basement XF Slash Archive offers the option to archive and post slash stories to the ATXC newsgroup and submit it to the Spookys all in one step.
- You can also read and post to ATXC with your browser at Google Groups.
What if my question isn't answered here?
Contact us with any other questions and we'll do our best to answer them.